Instant coffee is the "secret" ingredient in this sweet and spicy sauce. Don't be surprised when folks tell you this is the best chicken they've ever had! —Kathy Whipple, Twin Falls, Idaho
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), quartered
- In a large bowl, dissolve sugar, mustard and coffee in hot water. Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke if desired. Reserve 1 cup for basting; refrigerate remaining sauce.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack with oil. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat, for 30 minutes, turning and basting with sauce frequently. Grill, covered, 15 minutes longer, turning and basting occasionally or until juices run clear. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Grilled Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p92
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Smoky Grilled Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review