- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 9 no-cook lasagna noodles
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat 12-16 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, oregano, pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to drippings; cook and stir 7-8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in sausage.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, nutmeg and remaining salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1/4 cup Romano cheese and Asiago and fontina cheeses until melted.
- Spread 1 cup cheese sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles, half of the sausage mixture, 1 cup cheese sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and cheese sauce.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Four-Cheese Sausage Lasagna in TasteofHome.com 2016
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Smoky Four-Cheese Sausage Lasagna
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review