I love cranberries and freeze them in season to enjoy all year-round. Living near New Jersey’s cranberry bogs inspires me to develop new and delicious ways to use them, as in this recipe.—Christine Wendland, Browns Mills, New Jersey
- 4-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 6 pounds pork baby back ribs
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, combine the first nine ingredients; grind until fennel and caraway seeds are crushed. Set aside 4 teaspoons for sauce.
- Rub remaining spice mixture over ribs. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Wrap ribs in a large piece of heavy-duty foil (about 28 in. x 18 in.); seal tightly. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place ribs over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, brown sugar, vinegar, onion and reserved spice mixture. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes; cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; add ketchup. Cover and process until smooth. Set aside 1 cup sauce for serving.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Carefully remove ribs from foil. Place over direct heat; baste with some of the sauce. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until browned, turning and basting occasionally. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Cranberry Ribs in Taste of Home June/July 2011, p69
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Smoky Cranberry Ribs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review