- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook chicken and onion in oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the soup, enchilada sauce, chilies and chipotle pepper. Add tortillas and 1 cup cheese.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cilantro and remaining cheese. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 5 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Smoky Chicken Enchilada Skillet
"Delicious! I took the idea of this recipe and made it my own. I omitted the soup (cuz I would never put it in my enchiladas), chipotle, cilantro, and the green chilies, and reduced the amount of tortillas. I added Mexicorn and black beans that I drained and rinsed. I sub'd out reduced fat cheese for the regular. I am going to use a large can of enchilada sauce next time for more enchilada flavor."
"Mexican dishes. We did not care for so many soft tortillas in the mixture. Seemed that was all you could taste."
"Added 2 cups of corn and a can of diced tomatoes. Served with rice wrapped in a tortilla instead of mixing that in."
"I left the tortillas out because we didnt want them to get soggy. We put them on top more like a garnish.Flavor was great, but seemed lacking as a dish. Next time i will add somebeans or serve over rice. Works well as a soft taco type filling."
"i must have over done something. We love spicy but wow, this was hot! what can I do or add to this to calm it down?"