- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1 beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water; stir in water, brown sugar, seasonings and, if desired, liquid smoke. Pour marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 325°. Transfer roast to a Dutch oven; pour remaining marinade over top. Bake, covered, until tender, 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
Freeze option: Place sliced chuck roast in freezer containers; top with cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary, until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Braised Chuck Roast in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p131
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Smoky Braised Chuck Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review