Liquid Smoke gives a unique taste to this thick and hearty combination of beef and beans shared by Anita Curtis. "I serve it with a crisp salad to make a complete meal," notes the Camarillo, California cook.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, cook the beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Smoky Beef N Beans in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p35
Reviews for Smoky Beef 'n' Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2009
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2009
"What flavor!!!! Thoroughly loved this. Will make again and again. Forget the 8 servings. We snarfed it down. Seconds all around."