- 3 pounds sliced bacon, diced
- 3 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 6 cans (28 ounces each) baked beans, undrained
- 6 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 cans (16 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 packages (12 ounces each) miniature smoked sausages, cut in thirds
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions in reserved drippings until tender.
- In a very large bowl, combine the beans, sausage, bacon and onions. Combine the remaining ingredients; stir into bean mixture.
- Pour into four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 90-95 servings.
Reviews for Smoky Beans
"The cider vinegar was too strong for me."
"This is one awesome recipe. Just the right combination of ingredients makes it delicious and simple to make. Every time I take it to a potluck I get at least 3 or 4 requests for the recipe! Love it!"
"this is a very tasty dish I kept the butter beans out and and i broke it down in half or better myself on the bacon and the cans of beans but most of the spices stayed the same. take a chance on this one everyone that had it is asking me for the recipe."
"I divided by six to make a smaller recipe. It turned out very good and I got request for the recipe. I used Northern instead of Butter beans. I will definitely serve again."
"I made these for a small family get together, using the reduced serving recipe as provided by a reviewer. They were a hit and reheated nicely. Very good flavor and will make again. Nice change to typical burger versions."