Smoky Bean Stew Recipe
Glenda Holmes of Riley, Kansas gets this satisfying sausage-and-bean stew started in the slow cooker, then spends the afternoon curled up with a good book. "It's an effortless meal that tastes great," she relates.
- 1 package (16 ounces) miniature smoked sausage links
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 363 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 1,057 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC