Smoky Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes and sausage mixture. In a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, steak seasoning and Liquid Smoke if desired. Stir into bean mixture.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until heated through. Yield: 16 servings.
3/4 cup: 244 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 896mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Smoky Baked Beans
"I made this the other day for a Brunch. I did not have the sausage or steak seasoning and did not add the brown sugar. Got RAVE reviews! This is easy and a keeper!"
"I was pretty happy with the way these beans turned out. I probably added twice the amount of a smoky steak seasoning that I had on hand, and with the liquid smoke, it gave it a good flavor."
"Forgot on my review to 5 star this recipe!! And mother of 3 you ommit the good flavors!!"
"Awesome Smokey Baked Beans!! My family loves them!! Once you taste them you will be hooked!!"
"Hubby wasn't really impressed. Something missing he said. I forgot the mustard & steak seasoning. Omitted the sugar & diced tom with chilies, but used Trader Joe's Smoky BBQ sauce; it's very spicy. Think our fellowship would like it immensely."
"These baked beans are absolutely delish!!! I am always asked to make baked beans for family functions, and I always thought I made really good baked beans until I tried this recipe and realized I had so much room for inmprovement!! I omitted the kidney beans due to personal preference and used Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage as I couldn't find plain sausage, and the flavors mingled so well it was unbelievable. I got countless compliments on these beans, and cannot wait to make them again!! I highly recommend this recipe - you won't be disappointed. Thanks for sharing this recipe!"
"This was awesome. Doubled the recipe for husbands work cookout and it made a full large crockpot full. Sweet and smoky with a bite. Definitely a keeper. Husband was proud to take it to work."
"I wonder what makes this dish so hign in carb? I like bake beans but the carbs for 3/4 cups is just too much. I also wonder what the sugar reading would be. that is what made me give this a 3 star"
"I just made this but substituted 1 lb of hamburger instead of sausage. This is an absolute keeper. In fact, I'm making it for the office BBQ party next week. So easy and so good. And inexpensive to make."
"Too much of a good thing is never enough! I have put it on top of brown rice, on top of quinoa, on hot dogs. Good stuff! Thought it would be too many beans; however it was great Thanks for the recipe!"
"I sometimes reduce or even omit the liquid smoke - still delicious."
"My husband keeps asking me to make this for functions at his work. It is always a huge hit."