Smoked Sausage with Penne and Veggies Recipe
“This simple dish was inspired by other pasta recipes in S&D. I didn’t have the ingredients on hand, so I raided the refrigerator and cupboards and came up with this perfect meal," writes Theresa Moore of Mancelona, Michigan.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil until crisp-tender.
- 2. Add the sausage, tomatoes, zucchini, corn, water, salt, basil, garlic and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 3. Drain pasta; toss with sausage mixture. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
2 cups (calculated without Parmesan cheese) equals 570 calories, 31 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 2,052 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC