Smoked Sausage Gumbo Recipe
Serve up the flavors of the bayou! You'll leave the table satisfied, as it's chock-full of veggies, seasonings and sausage. Add in even more Cajun flavor with Andouille sausage. —Sharon Delaney-Chronis, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion, green pepper and carrot in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the sausage, tomatoes, oregano, thyme and cayenne. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze soup and rice, if desired, in freezer containers. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through, adding a little water if necessary. Serve gumbo with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 391 calories, 30 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,011 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC