Smoked Sausage Dinner
Describing himself as a “retired house husband,” Raymond Bell of Thornton, Colorado treats his wife to this well-seasoned, nourishing meal when she comes home from work. “The V-8 gives it a really unique flavor,” he says.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup V8 juice
- 1-1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute the sausage, green pepper, onion, oregano
- and basil in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender Add garlic; cook
- 1 minute longer.
- Stir in V8 juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 7-8 minutes or until thickened and heated through, stirring
- occasionally. Serve with rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup sausage mixture and 3/4 cup rice equals 603 calories, 38 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 1,518 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.