Smoked Sausage and Potato Soup Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 3 small carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in sausage and hash browns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup: 167 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Smoked Sausage and Potato Soup
"I tried this for the first time to take to a friend who had just had surgery. Since it made so much, I kept half and gave her half. She called later to rave about how good it was. I substituted a 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed veggies for the beans and carrots. It is so thick that it is more like a stew. So I might add a can of broth the next time. I will make this again."
"making it for years...love it!!"
"btw... I would like to add that I have changed this soup up in different ways to suit my taste and used different foods and spices that I have on hand. This is great as is or good base to get going if you want to get creative."
"one of my favorites...simple and delicious :o)"
"I thought this was good, but not outstanding. The broth was tasty, but since it was so thick, more like a stew than a soup, I added another couple cups of water with about a tablespoon of beef broth. So flavor was really good, but I think the texture of the hashbrowns made it a little funky for my taste."