- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 3 small carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients. bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in sausage and hash browns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Smoked Sausage and Potato Soup
"I tried this for the first time to take to a friend who had just had surgery. Since it made so much, I kept half and gave her half. She called later to rave about how good it was. I substituted a 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed veggies for the beans and carrots. It is so thick that it is more like a stew. So I might add a can of broth the next time. I will make this again."
"making it for years...love it!!"
"btw... I would like to add that I have changed this soup up in different ways to suit my taste and used different foods and spices that I have on hand. This is great as is or good base to get going if you want to get creative."
"one of my favorites...simple and delicious :o)"
"I thought this was good, but not outstanding. The broth was tasty, but since it was so thick, more like a stew than a soup, I added another couple cups of water with about a tablespoon of beef broth. So flavor was really good, but I think the texture of the hashbrowns made it a little funky for my taste."