Smoked Sausage and Beans Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fully cooked Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 to 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add sausage; cook and stir until lightly browned. Add broth, beans and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Serve in a bowl over rice or pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (prepared with low-fat smoked turkey sausage and low-sodium broth; calculated without rice) equals 326 calories, 716 mg sodium, 36 mg cholesterol, 42 gm carbohydrate, 21 gm protein, 9 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 meat.