- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 to 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add sausage; cook and stir until lightly browned. Add broth, beans and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Serve in a bowl over rice or pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Smoked Sausage and Beans in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p41
Reviews for Smoked Sausage and Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 5, 2013
"Made this without the hot sauce, and with two 14-oz sausages instead of one. We really liked it. It was simple, but very filling, and the sausage, beans, and rice went well together."