- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 to 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice or pasta
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil until tender. Add sausage; cook and stir until lightly browned. Add broth, beans and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Serve in a bowl over rice or pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Smoked Sausage and Beans in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p41
Reviews for Smoked Sausage and Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 5, 2013
"Made this without the hot sauce, and with two 14-oz sausages instead of one. We really liked it. It was simple, but very filling, and the sausage, beans, and rice went well together."