Smoked Kielbasa with Rice Recipe
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked rice
In a Dutch oven, saute the kielbasa, onion and bacon until onion is tender; drain. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, horseradish, water, garlic and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place cooled individual portions in freezer containers without rice. Freeze up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through, gently stirring and adding a water if necessary. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup (calculated without rice) equals 586 calories, 42 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 2,052 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 21 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer