With a little bit of zip and just the right amount of smokiness, this sausage-and-rice medley is an easy way to please the gang. Omit the rice and serve the sausage pieces as an appetizer with toothpicks. Nicole Jackson - El Paso, TX
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked rice
In a Dutch oven, saute the kielbasa, onion and bacon until onion is tender; drain. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, horseradish, water, garlic and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place cooled individual portions in freezer containers without rice. Freeze up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan; heat through, gently stirring and adding a water if necessary. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Smoked Kielbasa with Rice in Simple & Delicious May/June 2009, p29
Reviews for Smoked Kielbasa with Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review