I shared this impressive strata with friends at their new home. For your special occasions, change up the veggies and cheese. I’ve used tomatoes, spinach and cheddar. —Kim Forni, Laconia, New Hampshire
- 10 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound Swiss chard, leaves chopped and stems julienned
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 12 slices white bread, toasted and cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) smoked Gouda or smoked Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Swiss cheese, shredded
- 10 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Cook chard stems and onion in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add chard leaves and red pepper; cook 2 minutes. Drain.
- Lightly grease a 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the bread cubes, half of the vegetable mixture and half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Mix remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour over layers; press down slightly. Sprinkle bacon over top. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Bake until puffy, lightly browned and set, about 1 hour. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Smoked Gouda & Swiss Chard Strata in Taste of Home September/October 2016, p91
Reviews for Smoked Gouda & Swiss Chard Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review