Smiling Sugar Cookies Recipe
"These cute cookie pops are a big hit at bake sales," writes Brenda Bawdon of Alpena, South Dakota. "I sell them for $1 a piece and they disappear! The bright and cheery faces catch the kids' eyes, making them surefire sellers."
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 24 Popsicle sticks
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- Red, blue and green paste food coloring
- Assorted small candies
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Roll dough into 1-1/2-in. balls; insert a wooden pop stick in the center of each.
- 2. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. Divide frosting among three bowls; tint as desired. Place each color of frosting in a resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe hair and mouths onto cookies; use a dab of frosting to attach small candies for eyes. Let dry at least 30 minutes. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 cookie pop equals 180 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC