- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cubed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 5 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil. Combine the thyme, salt, pepper and paprika. Sprinkle over vegetables; toss to coat. Divide between two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute shallots in remaining oil until golden brown and crispy. Stir in sugar and vinegar; cook 1 minute longer. Drain; set aside.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Coarsely mash with butter, milk and nutmeg. Sprinkle with shallots; serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Smashed Root Vegetables with Crispy Shallots in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p114
Reviews for Smashed Root Vegetables with Crispy Shallots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >