4 ServingsPrep: 70 min. Cook: 5 min.
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Over warm burner or very low heat, stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes or
- until steam is evaporated. Press through a potato ricer or strainer
- into a small bowl; cool slightly. In a Dutch oven, bring 3 qts.
- water to a boil.
- Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes. Sprinkle flour over
- potatoes and into well. Whisk the egg, salt and nutmeg; pour into
- well. Stir until blended. Knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into four portions. On a floured surface, roll portions
- into 1/2-in.-thick ropes; cut into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll
- each piece with a lightly floured fork. Cook gnocchi in boiling
- water in batches for 30-60 seconds or until they float. Remove with