Slow-Simmering Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, bay leaves, oregano, dried basil, salt and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Discard bay leaves; stir in half of the fresh basil. Serve with pasta. Top with remaining basil. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Slow-Simmering Pasta Sauce(1)
Sort By :
This a very good recipe. My husband is from Italy. He does not care for the sweetness of American pasta sauce, so I was concerned about the tablespoon of brown sugar. My concern was needless the sauce had the right amount savory and sweetness. I won't be making any changes in this recipe. It is perfect. It is easy. It is delicious.