Slow-Simmered Meat Ragu Recipe
After a day of simmering in the slow-cooker, this ragu is not your typical spaghetti sauce. It's almost like a stew, so feel free to skip the pasta. —Laurie LaClair, North Richland Hills, TX
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:10 servings
- 1 jar (24 ounces) tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (3-1/2 ounces) prepared pesto
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- 1. In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Add to slow cooker.
- 2. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with pasta. Yield: 10 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC