Slow-Simmered Meat Ragu Recipe
After a day of simmering in the slow-cooker, this ragu is not your typical spaghetti sauce. It's almost like a stew, so feel free to skip the pasta. —Laurie LaClair, North Richland Hills, TX
- 1 jar (24 ounces) tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (3-1/2 ounces) prepared pesto
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- 1. In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Add to slow cooker.
Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with pasta.
Freeze option: Do not cook or add pasta. Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook pasta according to package directions. Place meat mixture in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Proceed as directed. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Slow-Simmered Meat Ragu
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC