- 1 jar (24 ounces) tomato basil pasta sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (3-1/2 ounces) prepared pesto
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Hot cooked angel hair pasta
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain. Add to slow cooker.
Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. Serve with pasta.
Freeze option: Do not cook or add pasta. Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook pasta according to package directions. Place meat mixture in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Proceed as directed. Yield: 10 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Slow-Simmered Meat Ragu
"Like the chunks of meat and not too heavy. Cut the chicken into large cubes so it would be about same size as sausage. Skipped the pepperoni. Only change to the recipe. Was plenty done 5 or 6 hours total. Rich flavor with the pesto think you would need more to serve 10 so good!"
"I would substitute Italian seasoned meatballs for the chicken tenderloins, but otherwise it sounds great! (This is just a personal opinion, but chicken doesn't go in spaghetti type dishes, to me.)"
"I really like the variety of meats in this dish, my family raved about it."
"Very good and a nice change from the traditional hamburger or sausage sauce but it is more expensive to make."