- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, sliced
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 medium unpeeled red apples, cubed
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Add sausage to drippings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt and mustard. Stir in the bacon and sausage. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in apples. Cover and cook 2 hours longer or until bubbly. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Slow-Simmered Kidney Beans
"This is always a hit. I've been asked to specifically bring these beans to parties.I do not add the apples."
"It was good. I might make it again. It smelled great while it was cooking. I got quite a few compliments. I'm not jumping out of my seat over this recipe, but it was okay overall."