This is a different, fresher-tasting meal than some of the heartier ones that are usually slow cooked. It goes perfectly with a side of noodles or a mixed green salad. —Lori Lockrey, Pickering, Ontario
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place onions on bottom of a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix butter and lemon peel.
- Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Place chicken over onions, breast side up. Add stock, parsley and dill.
- Drizzle lemon juice over chicken; sprinkle with seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours (a thermometer inserted in thigh should read at least 170°).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Roasted Lemon Dill Chicken in Taste of Home April/May 2014
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Roasted Lemon Dill Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review