- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place onions on bottom of a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix butter and lemon peel.
- Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Place chicken over onions, breast side up. Add stock, parsley and dill.
- Drizzle lemon juice over chicken; sprinkle with seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours (a thermometer inserted in thigh should read at least 170°).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Roasted Lemon Dill Chicken
Sort By :
"I make this a lot, I don't eat chicken skin so the "crispy" factor isn't an issue. I turn mine breast side down, I think white meat is too dry, turning it breast side down makes it very moist and flavorful. Sometimes instead of fresh dill, I use fresh rosemary. I usually take the chicken from the bones before serving. My favorite lunch with leftovers is chicken wrapped in a warm corn tortilla with pickled jalapenos and onion. I use the skin and bones to make stock, nothing goes to waste around here! LOL"
"I agree the name is a bit misleading - this was not really a roast chicken. It was juicy and delicious just the same, though. I found it really easy to put together."
"Although the chicken came out very moist and flavorful, it didn't look anything like the picture, and it certainly isn't "roasted". There was also too much paprika, I think. I made it for Sunday dinner today since using a crock pot doesn't heat up the kitchen on a hot day. I like my chicken crispy, so I probably won't be making this again."
"I really enjoyed this recipe. It's hard to flavor chicken, but this was a tasty slow roasted chicken dish. I did add a whole cup of chicken stock, 2 tsp. lemon peel, and some fresh basil for additional spice."
"Would definitely make this again. Nice flavor and easy to make. My family really enjoyed it - not much was left on the plate."