- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- Place carrots, celery and potatoes in a 6-qt. slow cooker; toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place lemon halves and garlic in chicken cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place chicken over vegetables in slow cooker, breast side up. Mix rosemary, lemon juice, oil, paprika and remaining salt; rub over chicken.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°; and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Sort By :
"I made this chicken in my slow cooker several times. It was delicious!"
"Couldn't be easier!"
"After getting started, I realized I was out of rosemary so I used some thyme and tarragon instead. Also added 1/2 an onion to the veggies. This was easy to put together in the morning and I was glad to have dinner ready after a busy day. Will make again!"
"This was smple, but mine also turned out dry and vegetables were over-cooked. Thought this would have made a wonderful after work meal. Chicken did make great leftovers."
"Had a big roasting chicken, too big for my slow cooker. Doubled the ingredients and put it in the oven at 325°, covered with foil for the first couple hours. Then removed foil for rest of the time. Chicken was tender and delicious!"