- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- Place carrots, celery and potatoes in a 6-qt. slow cooker; toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place lemon halves and garlic in chicken cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place chicken over vegetables in slow cooker, breast side up. Mix rosemary, lemon juice, oil, paprika and remaining salt; rub over chicken.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°; and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
"I made this roasted in the oven because I doubled the size of recipe for my family and chicken was too big for the crock pot. Meat was juicy and tender, and the lemon flavor was subtle but good. The herb rub was excellent. I made gravy with the pan juices, and it was good over the potatoes and chicken as well. I will use this recipe again."
"I like the concept but the chicken was not very tasty"
"The meat was very moist and tender. But it didn't have nearly as much flavor as I was expecting."
"Definitely easy; however, extremely strong rosemary flavor. Also, the lemon flavor just didn't go well; not sure what the purpose of the lemon is."
"This is the start of my slow cooker cooking. Happy new year to all"
"Couldn't be easier!"
"After getting started, I realized I was out of rosemary so I used some thyme and tarragon instead. Also added 1/2 an onion to the veggies. This was easy to put together in the morning and I was glad to have dinner ready after a busy day. Will make again!"
"This was smple, but mine also turned out dry and vegetables were over-cooked. Thought this would have made a wonderful after work meal. chicken did make great leftovers."