Slow-Roasted Chicken with Vegetables Recipe
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Place carrots, celery and potatoes in a 6-qt. slow cooker; toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place lemon halves and garlic in chicken cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place chicken over vegetables in slow cooker, breast side up. Mix rosemary, lemon juice, oil, paprika and remaining salt; rub over chicken.
- Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170° and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Sort By :
This was smple, but mine also turned out dry and vegetables were over-cooked. Thought this would have made a wonderful after work meal. Chicken did make great leftovers.
Had a big roasting chicken, too big for my slow cooker. Doubled the ingredients and put it in the oven at 325°, covered with foil for the first couple hours. Then removed foil for rest of the time. Chicken was tender and delicious!
I thought the chicken turned out VERY dry and really had no flavor other than what was on the skin from the rub. I also thought the vegetables came out way to mushy. Very rarely does a 'Taste of Home' recipe not turn out great, but I won't be making this again.
I liked the simplicity of this recipe. If I were to make this again, I'd add different dried herbs for half of the paprika and rosemary and I'd add onions.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Roast Chicken >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Carrot Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Chicken Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Carb Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Potato Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >