This sauce gets a convenient head start from prepared spaghetti sauce. I simply add a few everyday ingredients of my own. Most folks think it's homemade.
Recommended: Our Favorite Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown sausage and cayenne for about 5 minutes. Add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain; transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Add onion and green pepper. Pour spaghetti sauce on top. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 2-3 hours longer. Serve over spaghetti. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce in Country Pork 1996, p65
Reviews forSlow Cooking Spaghetti Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 16, 2012
"again. what is with the jarred sauce?"
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2011
"I would not make this recipe at any time. The amount of sodium is almost a whole day's allotment"