This sauce gets a convenient head start from prepared spaghetti sauce. I simply add a few everyday ingredients of my own. Most folks think it's homemade.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown sausage and cayenne for about 5 minutes. Add enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain; transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Add onion and green pepper. Pour spaghetti sauce on top. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 2-3 hours longer. Serve over spaghetti. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce in Country Pork 1996, p65
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Slow Cooking Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 16, 2012
"again. what is with the jarred sauce?"
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2011
"I would not make this recipe at any time. The amount of sodium is almost a whole day's allotment"