Slow Cooker White Chili Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts water
- 3 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, skin removed
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Minced chives and crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. Place the onions and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients; do not stir. Cook on high for 8-10 hours.
- 2. Uncover and stir (the meat should fall off the bones). Remove bones. Stir to break up the meat. Spoon into bowls; top with cheese and sour cream if desired. Sprinkle with chives and red pepper flakes. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup (prepared with chicken breasts and sodium-free bouillon and without added salt, cheese or sour cream) equals 294 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.