- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts water
- 3 pounds chicken breasts or thighs, skin removed
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Minced chives and crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the onions and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients; do not stir. Cook on high for 8-10 hours.
- Uncover and stir (the meat should fall off the bones). Remove bones. Stir to break up the meat. Spoon into bowls; top with cheese and sour cream if desired. Sprinkle with chives and red pepper flakes. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Slow Cooker White Chili
"This chili had potential for lots of flavor with the various spices in the recipe. Somehow, they just didn't work well together. Please note we cut the recipe in half which may have accounted for too little broth, too much chicken, and more of a stew texture. No one in my family (including the young adults) liked it very much"