Slow Cooker Tzimmes Recipe
Tzimmes is a sweet Jewish dish consisting of a variety of fruits and vegetables, and it may or may not include meat. Traditionally (as it is here), it’s tossed with honey and cinnamon and cooked slowly over low heat to meld the flavors.—Lisa Renshaw, Kansas City, Missouri
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla yogurt, optional
- 1. Place the first seven ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Combine the orange juice, honey, ginger, cinnamon, pie spice, orange peel and salt; pour over top and mix well.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Dollop servings with yogurt if desired. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
2/3 cup (calculated without yogurt): 187 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 6g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Tzimmes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC