- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 onion rolls, split
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chili sauce, jalapeno, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Just before serving, stir in cheese. Serve on rolls topped with avocado. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joes
"I have mixed feelings regarding this recipe. This recipe is so similar to manwich, that it made me wonder why I didn't use manwich. The can would have saved me from dirtying the crockpot and saved me some time. On the bright side, I do find manwich to be delicious; therefore, I thought this recipe was delicious."
"This was okay for me, but my husband loved it. I didn't think the jalapeno added any spice - next time I'd leave in the seeds."
"THis was fabulous! THe house smelled soo good while cooking and I couldn't wait to try them. We were NOT disappointed! I've already put this in my recipe book! YUM!"
"My husband and I liked this recipe alot.I did not pay attention to the 4 hours simmer time and of course started it an hour before we were to eat. To compensate I sauted the onions, garlic and jalapeno pepper in a little olive oil first and then added the turkey meat. While that was cooking continued to add the remaining ingredients.I used hamburger buns that I heated in a pan with a bit of butter like a grilled cheese sandwich. Placed those open face, scooped the turkey joes, grated cheddar cheese and then topped with the avocado slices. It was perfect. And so much better than regular Joes that always taste like spagetti sauce to me. We will be making this again."
"Everything is real tasty good, But I do not like the avocados. Not with turkey."