I love this chili recipe because it’s a quick meal to prepare in the morning and a delicious, wholesome dinner to return to in the evening.—Terri Crandall, Gardnerville, Nevada
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Sliced avocado and chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey and onion; cook 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in seasonings. Add tomatoes, sweet peppers, chilies and garlic; stir in coffee and wine.
Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours. Stir in beans; cook 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Top servings with avocado and green onions.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Slow Cooker Turkey Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p66
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review