- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Sliced avocado and chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey and onion; cook 8-10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in seasonings. Add tomatoes, sweet peppers, chilies and garlic; stir in coffee and wine.
- Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours. Stir in beans; cook 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Top servings with avocado and green onions.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Sort By :
"I give this 5 stars. Had to question the coffee but I put it in anyway. I added three xxx hot dynamite roasted chilies and used two pounds of meat. Other than that, I stuck with the recipe. It was great but the girly friend and I enjoy our chili with a bit of a whang to it. So if you are of the mild sort, leave out the dynamite."
"Followed the recipe to the letter, I did add one chopped jalapeno (we like it hot / spicy). It didn't taste bad, just wasn't a "wow" for us. We tend to like more of a tomato base. Coffee & wine had an interesting flavor, again, not bad, just not for our taste buds."
"Four star instead of five because this is way too hot for my family, although I halved the amount of chili powder... could be that I used chipotle chili powder instead? So, to cut the heat added 1 Tbl. of honey. Personally, found this to be a very nice blend of seasonings!! Since I didn't have yellow pepper, added chopped green pepper and red pepper. Added two chopped fresh tomatoes- just love the flavor fresh tomatoes add! And reduced to one can of tomatoes & one can of tomato paste. Added one can of corn and one can of pinto beans! Left out the coffee as we are not coffee lovers. Kept 3/4 c of red wine. Topped with green onion and sour cream, grated cheddar jack. So yummy! Definitely added this to my family recipes. It is much more flavorful than other turkey chili recipes! Next try I'm sure this will be 5-star chili!"