Canned beans and corn bread/muffin mix speed up the prep on this crowd-pleasing main dish that’s perfect for busy evenings and carry-in dinners. —Jill Pokrivka, York, Pennsylvania
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream and additional minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onions and cilantro. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over meat mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and additional cilantro if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Tamale Pie in Taste of Home August/September 2010, p57
Reviews for Slow Cooker Tamale Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review