- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream and additional minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper.
- Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onions and cilantro. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over meat mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and additional cilantro if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Tamale Pie
Sort By :
"This is awesome and easy to make in the crockpot. My adult kids love it and never any leftovers. The best recipe ever"
"Only rating this low cause of the lengthy prep time.Haven't tried this yet but sounds like it might be a keeper, EXCEPT won't be using the slow cooker. When I use that I look for things I can "throw in" and go, not with a lot of prep time."
"I made this on the stovetop and then baked it in the oven. This is a very good recipe. Followed the recipe but added my own touches, added a small can of sliced olives, chopped green bellpepper, and used my own cornbread recipe. Brown & drained liquid from meat well, then added ingredients boil & simmer since I dont like too much liquid I reduced it by by later cooking with the lid off, then I poured it into a 9" pan, poured batter ontop and baked it as if I were baking my cornbread recipe. It was delicious. I like how the cheese melts and looked on the bread it went well with the whole dish. Hubby loved it. I had extra fillings which I had put away & used it on another day to make a tortilla roll just add monteray jack."
"We are retired so we found this to be much easier when not done in a crockpot, but on the stovetop and oven. I use frozen corn and make a batch of scratch cornbread. I also leave out the cilantro. I can make this often and on short notice since I usually have all the ingredients. I just brown the meat, add all the rest except for the cornbread mix, and bring it to a boil on the stove. I then pour the cornbread on top and cook in the oven for 35 minutes at 350 degrees."
"I doubled the spices for our tastes and it was perfect. Slow Cooker Tamale Pie is now my all-time favorite crockpot receipe!"