Slow Cooker Tamale Pie Recipe
Canned beans and corn bread/muffin mix speed up the prep on this crowd-pleasing main dish that’s perfect for busy evenings and carry-in dinners. —Jill Pokrivka, York, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream and additional minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper.
- 2. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; stir in the beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onions and cilantro. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over meat mixture. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream and additional cilantro if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups (calculated without sour cream) equals 392 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 1,149 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC