Slow Cooker Sweet-and-Sour Chicken Recipe
Dorothy Hess of Hartwell, Georgia uses her slow-cooker to fix this stir-fry like supper. Adding the onions, pineapple and snow peas later in the process keeps them from becoming over-cooked.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sweet-and-sour sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen snow peas
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the chicken, water chestnuts, carrots, soy sauce and pineapple juice. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, sweet-and-sour sauce, water and ginger until smooth. Stir into the slow cooker. Add onions and reserved pineapple; cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC