- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sweet-and-sour sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen snow peas
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil for 4-5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the chicken, water chestnuts, carrots, soy sauce and pineapple juice. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, sweet-and-sour sauce, water and ginger until smooth. Stir into the slow cooker. Add onions and reserved pineapple; cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Sort By :
Wonderful flavors. Easy to make. The Taste of Home-casseroles, slow cooker & soups cookbook has a recipe for sweet and sour sauce if you prefer making your own (page 40). Five stars. Thank you Dorothy for sharing with us.
I was very disappointed in this recipe. I didn't feel it tasted very Asian. I didn't care for the taste of the bottled sweet n sour even before I put it in, but it wasn't that good before I put the sauce in either. The snowpeas definitely needed to cook longer. The flavors just didn't seem to blend well together, I will not make this again.
Very good recipe. Next time I will be in the snow peas at the some time as the onions and pineapples. Five minutes was not long enough for them to cook.
I simply love this recipe. It is very easy to put together and served over rice it tastes so good. It has become a family favorite. I highly recommend this recipe--it is definitely worth trying!!
More Recipe Collections
- Asian Dinners >
- Asian Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice >