Slow Cooker Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. Place the rhubarb, sugar, juice, cinnamon sticks, orange peel and ginger in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rhubarb is tender.
- 2. Stir in strawberries; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard cinnamon sticks. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 4-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup: 60 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
"Great way to make rhubarb sauce which is a favorite at family gatherings.No scorching! A 1/2 gallon of ice cream or an angel food cake are our favorite ways to enjoy this summer treat!"
"I make it every now & then..with a few various differences. fast cook it ,takes about 10 minutes..then run it thru Blender.. This gives you a smooth Sauce---if to thiin add a pkg of strawberry JELLO andit will thjicken nicely...want a slight difference adda different fruit/Jello. also use it hot on waffles or hot cakes."
"This is great for not only ice cream, was used on waffles and as sauce on cake to....even great gift for friends and family. I would not recommend changing a thing."