Slow Cooker Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. Place the rhubarb, sugar, juice, cinnamon sticks, orange peel and ginger in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rhubarb is tender.
- 2. Stir in strawberries; cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard cinnamon sticks. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 4-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without ice cream) equals 60 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 fruit.