Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe
When I have leftover ham in the fridge, I always like to make this soup. Just throw the ingredients in the slow cooker, turn it on and dinner is done. —Pamela Chambers, West Columbia, South Carolina
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup julienned or chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1. In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until peas are tender.
- 2. Freeze Option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Heat through in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 260 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 728 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 15 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC