Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham Hocks
Slow cook your split pea soup while you are out for the day and a delicious dinner will be ready when you arrive back home! This is a real stick-to-your-ribs soup. The ham hock gives a great smoky flavor.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
7 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 2 cups each chopped onions, celery and carrots
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 2 bay leaves
- Salad croutons, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the broth, ham hocks,
- vegetables, peas and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 8-10
- hours or until ham hocks and peas are tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove meat from bones when cool enough to
- handle; cut ham into small pieces and set aside. Cool soup slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return
- soup to slow cooker; stir in reserved ham. Heat through. Garnish
- with croutons if desired. Yield: 7 servings (about 2 quarts).