In less than half an hour, I can have the ingredients for my satisfying pea soup simmering away in my slow cooker. What a great treat to enjoy this soup on a chilly night.—Heidi Schmidgall, Hancock, Minnesota
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 quarts water
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until peas are tender. Skim fat; discard bay leaf.
- Set ham hocks aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut ham into small pieces. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Split Pea Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2008, p11
Reviews for Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Carrots and Ham Hocks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 6, 2015
"Wonderful recipe! Changed it a little, since did not have enough time, cooked it on the stove and used 2 cups of Turkey Ham as did not have the Ham Hocks on hand, otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Great for chilly days in upstate NY.Heidi, Thank you so much for sharing it with us all."