Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Carrots and Ham Hocks Recipe
In less than half an hour, I can have the ingredients for my satisfying pea soup simmering away in my slow cooker. What a great treat to enjoy this soup on a chilly night.—Heidi Schmidgall, Hancock, Minnesota
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 quarts water
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until peas are tender. Skim fat; discard bay leaf.
- 2. Set ham hocks aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and cut ham into small pieces. Return meat to slow cooker; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 253 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 475 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC