I started making this in the slow cooker to save oven space during the holidays. It's so convenient, I no longer reserve it for special occasions!—Erica Polly, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Featured In: 23 Slow Cooker Side Dishes to the Rescue
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked converted rice
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, cream cheese, salt and pepper until blended. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in rice.
- Cook, covered, 3-4 hours or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring halfway through cooking. Remove insert; top with cheddar cheese. Let stand, covered, 20 minutes. Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Spinach & Rice in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p66
Reviews for Slow Cooker Spinach & Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review