Slow Cooker Spiced Poached Pears Recipe
Some of the many reasons I love this dessert recipe are: it's on the healthy side; it's easy to make; the recipe can be mostly prepared in advance of company arriving; and the presentation is lovely.—Jill Mant, Denver, Colorado
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 dried Sichuan peppercorn, optional
- 4 ripe Bosc pears
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Fresh blackberries
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, mix wine, brown sugar, cherries, cinnamon, star anise and, if desired, peppercorn until blended. Peel and cut pears lengthwise in half. Remove cores, leaving a small well in the center of each. Arrange pears in wine mixture.
- 2. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until pears are almost tender. Discard star anise and peppercorn.
- 3. Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- 4. To serve, remove pears to dessert dishes; drizzle with some of the poaching liquid. Spoon ganache into wells of pears. Top with pine nuts and blackberries. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Spiced Poached Pears
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC