Slow Cooker Southwest Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free Southwest chipotle seasoning blend
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, black beans, broth, tomatoes, garlic powder and seasoning blend. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- 3. Stir in rice; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 228 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 482 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.