Slow Cooker Southwest Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free Southwest chipotle seasoning blend
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, black beans, broth, tomatoes, garlic powder and seasoning blend. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.
- Stir in rice; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Slow Cooker Southwest Beef Stew(3)
Sort By :
I made this stew with stew meat instead of ground beef. I didn't brown it ahead of time, just coated it with flour, and it turned out very well. I didn't have any Southwest chipotle seasoning but I used cumin, garlic and cilantro and it was still very good.
I made this for dinner last night, and we found it to be a tad bit too spicy, especially with small children in the house. I fixed that, however, by stirring in a spoonful of fat free sour cream in each dish as I served it. That seemed to cool down the kick enough that the kids were able to eat it. I served it with a small plate of tortilla chips with melted cheese on the side for dipping, and everyone really enjoyed that. I think the stew would probably make a good topping for nachos. Anyway, I'd say it wasn't fabulous, but it was hearty and good.
Good Choice to make quick...in a crockpot!
This is almost exactly as Taco Soup... mine was thicker than the soup, but very simular in taste.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Rice Recipes >