- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- Add onions to the same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with ribs and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Short Ribs
Sort By :
My family and I were not huge fans of the recipe. Part of the problem was the cut of meat. It was very fatty so be prepared to cut off plenty of edges. Ours was also quite bland. I think that with a different cut of meat and if it was made by someone with cooking experience who would add more spices it could be okay but I probably won't make it again.
We loved this recipe. I didn't make the gravy because instead of mashed potatoes we had a salad. Very delicious.
Made just as receipe stated. Very flavorful, moist and tender. Will make again.
I was impressed--they came out very tender and the overall result was nice. Will make again.
Made following directions very tender . Definitely will make again.