- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- Add onions to the same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with ribs and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Short Ribs
Sort By :
"Great flavor. My husband just loved this recipe. May try with a chuck roast next time. The Merlot added a good taste to these ribs."
"This was absolutely succulent. I added a few more sprigs of thyme because I didn't have bay leaf. It was a real treat (short ribs are expensive), so I might see if it works with just a regular chuck roast. It got a little dry towards the end of the cooking time, so my daughter the chef added more wine, salt and thyme to fix it up a bit."
"This is not only delicious but he color just wants you to dig in and eat the entire bowl - really good"
"Easy to prepare and perfect meal for end of long day from school for my hungry kids."
"The short ribs had too much fat so I made this with a chuck round instead. It was so tender and delicious. My husband and 14 yr old son loved it too!"