- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. In batches, brown ribs on all sides; transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, thyme and bay leaf to ribs.
- Add onions to the same skillet; cook and stir over medium heat 8-9 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and vegetables; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Bring juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with ribs and vegetables. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Short Ribs
"Very good with rich broth.."
"Came out much better than expected, considering I am not knowing for my cooking skills :) Very tender, and very flavorful. For the red wine, I chose Pinot Noir. This will be a "frequent flyer" in our home, for sure."
"This is one of my favorite crockpot recipes for dinner. The definition of comfort food in the winter time, this one just is good for the soul. Will note: I usually don't remove the thyme/bay leaf - my mother never removed them when I was younger because she'd often freeze meals and said she wanted to keep the spices for reheating it later - just watch out when you go to eat!Glad to have these short ribs in my recipe rotation for the upcoming cold months."
"WOW! Make these! They're divine!"
"Loved the recipe. I will definitely use this recipe from now on."
"Recipe was good, Cooking time seemed too long. 2 hours less perhaps."
"My family loved this recipe, house filled with aroma end of day!"
"Great recipe! Didnt even need a knife to cut these. They were falling off the bone as I took them out of the slow cooker. I changed a few small things though I used marsala for the wine and only used one cup, the rest was beef broth, 3 garlic cloves and one onion. Going to add more carrot next time. They were so good but needed more! Came out wonderful! Full of flavor and definitly a recipe thats going into my rotation.The only thing I had a bit of trouble with was getting the drippings to turn into gravy. It happened- just took a while. It was worth the waiting though!"
"I pretty much did it as called for it had a wonderful flavor and my husband called it a keeper served it with cheese grits casserole very tasty"