Slow Cooker Sauerbraten Recipe
My family is of German Lutheran descent, and although we enjoy this traditional beef roast, I never liked the amount of time and fuss it takes to make it. This recipe is so good and oh-so-easy. It's great served with dumplings, spaetzle, veggies or a salad.—Norma English, Baden, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:10 servings
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast or rump roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle (14 ounces) ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies (about 30 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add water. In a large bowl, combine the ketchup, onion, brown sugar and vinegar; pour over roast.
- 2. Place pickling spices and bay leaves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add spice bag and cookie crumbs to slow cooker.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4. Remove roast and keep warm. Discard spice bag. Strain cooking juices; transfer 4 cups to a large saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy. Yield: 10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC