- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 to 5 pounds)
- Place carrots and onion in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix garlic and oil. In another bowl, mix dry seasonings.
- Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken breast; rub garlic mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Place chicken in slow cooker over carrots and onions, breast side up; sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours (a thermometer inserted in thigh should read at least 170°).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Discard vegetables. Let chicken stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSlow Cooker Roast Chicken
"Delicious! A great summer recipe with results that everyone was eager to eat. Served with roasted vegetables. Wouldn'tWouldn't change a thing and definitely would make it again."
"I made this yesterday and loved it. So easy and you don't have to heat up an oven. It was so moist. Thank you."
"Oh my! This was so moist and flavorful. I will definitely be making it again."
"This was delicious and very moist. Will make again!"
"Maybe my chicken wasn't totally thawed but I had too cook it an hour or more longer than the recipe says. Otherwise, it was great."
"I love the added flavors from the garlic rub in this recipe. I separated the pieces and packed some away in the freezer for future meals. The carrots and onions act more as a base for the chicken to rest on while cooking than an actual part of the meal, as they tended to almost disappear in the process. I allowed the chicken to sit on the counter for about 20 minutes, which made it easier to get the rub under the skin. The meat was tender and moist. I will add this to my list of favorites."
"Loved this! I made it tonight and it was so easy! I would probably add a few more carrots and maybe some potatoes to make it a one-dish meal! Thanks for sharing!"